Coconut Rice by way of the Tortuga Rum Company
This light and healthy coconut rice recipe from our friends at the Tortuga Rum Company should be on your menu for dinner tonight.
Based in the Cayman Islands, Tortuga is best-known for their Rum Cakes, the Caymans’ #1 export, and as sinful a sweet treat as you’ll find anywhere in the Caribbean.
As penitence, perhaps, they also publish the Tortuga Rum Fever and Caribbean Party Cookbook, which is filled with wonderful, light, quick, and easy recipes like this to help us keep our bodies beach-ready no matter the weather outside, or what happens to be on TV.
This light and healthy recipe from our friends at the Tortuga Rum Company should be on your menu for dinner tonight.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root
- 1-1/4 cups long-grain rice
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons Tortuga Light Rum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and sauté the garlic and ginger until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and sauté for another minute, stirring frequently.
- Pour in the water, salt, and rum and stir well, then add the coconut milk and stir again.
- Bring to a boil, stirring once, then reduce heat to simmer and cover the pot.
- Cook for about 20-25 minutes until rice is fluffy and all liquid is absorbed.
- Add shrimp or your favorite seafood.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 556Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 24gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 402mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 7g