Fort Frederik Cannons Above The Sea, Saint Croix
Like a lot of the ancient armaments on display at fortresses across the Caribbean, the Fort Frederik cannons never saw any combat duty. That, however, doesn’t mean that they served no purpose.
Established in 1751, the town of Frederiksted has long been regarded as St. Croix’s “second city.” Freedom City, as Frederiksted is also known, lies along the island’s west coast. It’s blessed with a calm bay, a deep port, and as rich a cultural history as you’ll find anywhere in the Caribbean.
Fort Frederik was built between 1752 and 1760. Its purpose: to defend the city from attack during the Danish colonial period. Though an invasion never came, the Fort Frederik cannons did protect one thing critical to Frederiksted’s success.
That one thing: money.
Honesty, it seems, was in short supply back in Saint Croix’s earliest days under colonial rule. Ships in port to conduct trade often sailed away in the middle of the night without paying customs duties.
Once the Fort Frederik cannons were installed and aimed out into the harbor, the town’s financial future was assured.