Tete l'Anglais, Guadeloupe

Tete l’Anglais from Above

Just off the sands of Plage de Clugny on the north coast of Basse-Terre, near Deshaies lies Tete l’Anglais—a beautiful little island with a distinctive long, tall shape. It’s this shape and, more specifically, its resemblance to the hats worn by the British military during the 1700s that give the island its name which translates to “English Head.” This likeness also led to the island being used for target practice by the French Navy during the Anglo-French War (1778–1783)! Today, Tete l’Anglais is a tiny protected corner of the Parc national de la Guadeloupe.

 

Send this to a friend